The Benefits of Metal Roofing in Maine
More and more Maine home and business owners have realized the value of adding a metal roof to their building. Metal roofs shed snow and ice better than traditional roofing materials, helping to prevent ice dams that are common in Maine’s harsh winters. In the summer, metal roofing reflects much of the sun’s energy away from your home, saving on your building’s cooling costs.
Additional Benefits of Metal Roofs:
- With a lifespan of up to 60 years, metal roofs last significantly longer than traditional roofing materials at a comparable price.
- Metal roofs shed snow better than traditional roofing materials.
- Metal roofs are noncombustible, which can make a significant impact on insurance rates.
- Metal roofs have a durable, impermeable surface that prevents moisture absorption, leaks, or chips from hail or fallen tree limbs.
- Metal is a lightweight roofing material that will alleviate much of the weight stress of heavier alternatives such as clay tiles from your home.
- Metal provides more wind resistance than traditional roofing materials.
- Metal roofs have a noise level that is comparable to asphalt shingles – about 30 decibels.
- Metal roofs are no more susceptible to lightning strikes than other roofing materials, while also allowing for the dissipation of any electrical charges that may strike your home or business.
What Materials Are Available for Metal Roofs?
Holgerson Metal Roofing installs 26-gauge and 24-gauge residential and commercial metal roofs made from Kynar coated steel, 032 aluminum and feature a 35-year limited warranty. Bare Galvalume, 16- and 20-ounce copper are also available. Metal roofs are typically made from as much as 65% recycled material, and at the end of their life cycle (50 to 60 years with minimal maintenance) are 100% recyclable.
How Are Metal Roofs Installed?
Holgerson Metal Roofing material is attached to your building’s roof deck with cleats. Cleats are nailed to the existing surface and are then rolled into the standing seam, hiding the cleat under the surface. Very few surface fasteners are required to install a normal standing seam roof.
Metal roofs can typically be applied over existing roofing materials, eliminating the need for costly stripping labor and disposal fees. This also keeps waste materials out of landfills, making metal one of the most eco-friendly options on the market. Metal roofs can be installed on roof pitches as low as 3″–12″. We can supply and install ridge vents with your new metal roof.
Since metal roofing installation is a relatively quick process, we can complete your project in as little as two to three days.